Monday, November 18, 2013

No News is Good News

I haven't written in awhile because nothing notable has been going on with me as far as my sleeve is concerned.  Even so, I have been incredibly busy lately and that leaves me with little time to blog.  First, let's start with the latest stats...I had another doctor appointment and everything is going well, I am currently down 36 lbs, I just started the soft food portion of the diet and I will have a treadmill this week.  It has been hard getting used to the new me though.  Sometimes I forget to take my vitamins throughout the day (2 multi vitamins and 3 calcium) and other times I forget to keep sipping.  At work the other day, I was feeling very dizzy so I went to the nurse to have my blood pressure checked although I knew the reason....dehydration.  It is very hard to get in 60 oz of fluid daily and even harder to get in 60 g of protein.  Since I teach 5 extremely active special education kindergarten students, I don't always remember to sip.  My lonely water bottle sits on my desk while I am teaching and trying to stay ahead of my kiddies.  I hadn't really thought much about it until I got dizzy.  That made me think, "Just how many bottles am I getting in a day?  Am I getting enough fluid?"  Well, the answer was clear.  I was not drinking enough and it was catching up to me.  Once I drank an entire bottle of water (before lunch), I felt better.  The other problem I have been having is that I am nauseous in the mornings.  (No, I am not pregnant, thank you very much!) I think this ties in with the dehydration, maybe, I don't really know.  I have never been much of a breakfast person anyway, so I just stick to nursing my shake all morning.  Then there is the issue of the protein.  Without the shakes, I don't even come close to what I am supposed to have each day.  I am just waiting for the day when I start to lose some hair.  *sigh* I am trying very hard to get these shakes in, but I just don't like them (not the flavors I have anyway).  I went to Wal-Mart and bought one of their protein shake mixes in order to save money but it tastes like hell.  2 days ago, I ordered the flavor I like, from the company I like and it should be here soon.  With my chocolate, I shouldn't have any more problems.  Nothing fancy, just plain chocolate.  I have always loved chocolate milk and this is exactly what my shakes taste like. 

This past weekend, I began the soft food portion of my diet!!!! I could not be happier about it.  I was so excited to eat a piece of toast with hummus! (1/2 a piece and then later the other 1/2 of course lol)  I was so happy to be eating normal food that I ate a too much of the wrong foods.  I ate all day on Saturday but wasn't even close to my protein goal for the day.  This is something I have to be very very careful of...not falling back into my old habits.  In the past, I ate food because it tasted good, not because it was healthy.  That is what I did this past weekend, to an extent.  I cooked healthy meals but in between was not so healthy.  I am afraid of stretching out my sleeve or making myself sick.  I will admit that a couple of times this weekend, I did not feel so well.  As far as stopping eating when I get that full feeling, I am doing ok, but when eating fast and eating the wrong food, the feeling doesn't hit until it is too late and I am stuffed.  Then I have to battle nausea for about a 1/2 hour.  I could easily blame all the craziness of this weekend for my poor choices, but I won't.  It was me.  I made a mistake and all I can do now is work at my commitment to do this right.  (As for the craziness this weekend...my best friend had a kidney transplant and I spent the weekend at his house helping him out by shopping and cooking.  My ex was also there all weekend and that made things a little weird, especially since he is an alcoholic and got drunk Saturday.  This was one of the main reasons I broke up with him and didn't talk to him for 2 years.  Last week was the first time. See what I mean by crazy???) 

Anywho, I am going to have a good week.  I started keeping track of my fluids and proteins again and even though I am still not getting in enough of either, I am doing much better and know where I need to make adjustments.  The treadmill will be here in another day or 2 and then I can start my walking routine at home.  I will pay attention to what my body is telling me, know my limits and stick to the diet plan.  I am still not completely healed inside and I have to be careful.  This weekend I had a couple of sharp pains in my stomach and that scared me.  Right now, I am off to bed, so good night, zero and thanks again for letting me ramble.

No comments:

Post a Comment